Friday 21 February 2014

Simple one-shoulder dress

My first project of the year was a dress for my girls night out. I wanted something that was flattering and fun but not a lacey floral dress like I would usually opt for. I wanted something a little sexier so I found an online tutorial for a one-shoulder figure hugging dress. Here is the link.

The tutorial was great but next time I will be doing 2 things differently:

1. The video says to take measurements at the bust, waist and hips and basically just join the dots. Maybe I am more curvy than the person who created this "pattern" but just having those three measurements was not enough. Next time I will be taking measurements (1) at the armpits, (2) at the bust, (3) under the bust, (4) at the waist, (5) at the hips, and of course measuring the distance vertically between these points.

2. The girl in the video kept saying "I'm using stretch fabric so I'll take a couple of inches off my [bust/waist/hips] measurement". I thought that was because she was a little too... well... keen to show off her body. I didn't want to look like a slapper so I just used my exact measurements thinking it would fit nicely without being too snug. WRONG. I ended up looking like I was wearing a dress 2 sizes too big! So those couple of inches came off eventually anyway. Silver lining: I got some good practice at tailoring my clothes!

And now for the pictures (sorry for the poor quality, I'll do better next time!):


All my supplies ready to go!!! 
(The paper is a sketch of the dress with my measurements scribbled on it)


Here I have measured, pinned and cut the outline.


The pieces all cut out and pinned together.



Action shot of the sewing machine.


This is what the dress looked like when I first sewed all the pieces together.


The top section with lining.


The top section after the first round of tailoring...


Finally finished tailoring!!


And finally, it makes its debut at a night out on the town!





Next project: a dress for Cocopuffette (J&L's baby due later this month)



1 comment: